Donald Trump has claimed he has seen evidence indicating that the coronavirus originated in a medical laboratory in Wuhan, China, and may have been released on the world by “mistake” while threatening to slap a new round of tariffs on the rival superpower he continues to blame for the outbreak.
The president’s conspiracy theorising was branded “yet another distraction” and the latest in his “endless flurry of lies” by pundits, as he also teased reinstating disgraced general Michael Flynn after calling the FBI “dirty cops” for investigating him and pressured Democratic challenger Joe Biden to come clean on a sexual assault allegation against him.
Meanwhile, Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer’s decision to extend lockdown measures led armed right-wing protesters to storm the State House in Lansing in alarming scenes that quickly went viral as the public’s patience in quarantine is severely tested.
Download the new Independent Premium app
Sharing the full story, not just the headlinesDownload now
Please allow a moment for our liveblog to load
- Trump claims to have seen 'evidence' coronavirus engineered in Wuhan lab
- President hints at reinstating or pardoning Michael Flynn
- Trump pressures Joe Biden to come clean on sexual assault allegation
- Armed anti-lockdown protesters storm Michigan State House
- Pelosi says state governments want up to $1trn from next federal bailout