LiveUpdated Wednesday 29 April 2020 09:45
Related video: Trump says accusation he would try to move November's election is 'propaganda'
Donald Trump has taken to Twitter to declare (without evidence) that the US is “doing sooo much better than any other country in the world” in testing for coronavirus after pledging at the White House that America would “soon” have the capacity to test 5m people per day.
The president’s optimism came despite the country passing 1m cases of Covid-19 and 58,000 deaths, meaning it has now killed more people than died over the entire course of the Vietnam War.
Trump has meanwhile invoked the Defense Production Act to keep American meatpacking plants open, despite declining to do so for the sake of ventilators or personal protective equipment, as his vice president Mike Pence finds himself in hot water for refusing to wear a mask during an official visit to the Mayo Clinic medical facility in Minnesota.
Download the new Independent Premium app
Sharing the full story, not just the headlinesDownload now
Please allow a moment for our live blog to load
- Trump boasts about US Covid-19 testing prowess
- More Americans killed by coronavirus than Vietnam War
- President invokes Defense Production Act to keep meat plants open
- Mike Pence under fire for not wearing mask on hospital visit
- Republican ex-senator backs Joe Biden and calls for Trump's 'sound defeat'
No hype, just the advice and analysis you need